I hate cooking

So, I read this article from Glamour magazine yesterday, and it resonated with me. ...I'm never cooking for a man again...

I believe it is the expectation that I, as a wife and mother (WOMAN), plan for and prepare the meals my family eats, even take out, really. Why does that responsibility fall to me? Even when I won't be home to cook dinner, I must either explain what is leftover in the fridge, which food is available in the cabinets and freezer, or say "Get take out." While I know I must seem like I'm whining, I'm not. I'm genuinely curious as to why this falls on me.

I'm not a bad cook, and I might enjoy it if I had time and space to do so. My kitchen isn't small; I'm talking about the space that comes with not having to worry about other things going on in the house. I have 4 children so you can imagine there is something happening ALL. THE. TIME. If I could focus solely on cooking, I might enjoy it more, but for now, I HATE COOKING. I HATE DEALING WITH FOOD AND FEEDING PEOPLE! And this article made perfect sense to me.

I'm not heading for divorce over this, but I needed to get this out. Plus, I don't want my sons to expect someone to cook for them, but especially, I don't want my daughter to tie her self-worth to whether or not she cooks.

Comments